Sunday 20 June 2010

Portsmouth


I had to go to Portsmouth for a work course last week and took the opportunity to take some photos of the impressive harbour area.


First off is Spinnaker Tower, a fairly recent addition to the area. At 170 meters it dominates the sky line from much of the city but also manages to blend in with Portsmouth's maritime atmosphere.


Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is home to famous ships from British history such as HMS Victory and HMS Warrior as well as many naval exhibitions and museums. The photo above is of HMS Warrior.


In between the two attractions is Gunwharf Quays, a cosmopolitan shopping and leisure complex with lots of designer outlets and trendy restaurants. I really like it, as it has quite a different atmosphere to anything else in the Hampshire area.


The Harbour area is definitely my favourite place in Portsmouth and I love the sense of adventure I get from seeing all the boats heading out for see. I love imagining the feeling of excitement there must have been when ships set out from Portsmouth to explore the world in the hey-day of the British Empire.

No comments: